The first road sign at Lohtaja
This is the first road sign at the Lohtaja training area from the early 1950s. It was erected to help troops operating in the area to find various destinations in the camp.
Some of the terms shown in the signpost may be unfamiliar even to those who have visited the present-day Lohtaja area, while some may be very familiar. For example, ATP stands for ammunition supply point, and ETP for food supply point. Käärmekuusentie (“serpent spruce road”), on the other hand, comes from a spruce tree that grew along the roadside with winding branches that resembled vipers slithering among the needles.
Tompentie (“Tompe’s road”) was named after Colonel Eino Tuompo, commander of the anti-aircraft artillery, who was also known by his nickname Tompe. Colonel Tuompo served in the above-mentioned position from 1946 to 1952, which was also when the Lohtaja training area was planned and then established.