Tuusula Coat of Arms
The Tuusula Coat of Arms
The municipality of Tuusula received its coat of arms in the early 1950s. During this time, the majority of Finnish towns and municipalities lacked any symbols or Coats of Arms, so many ordered one for themselves during the post war years. Originally, only the market towns of the country were allowed to have such symbols, but when the municipal law was changed in 1949, all of the municipalities were allowed to have one.
Cultural life in Tuusula is symbolized by the bay leaf branch with red berries in the lower corner of the coat of arms. Military traditions of Tuusula region are symbolized by the flint lock from a Swedish service pistol. The Pistol lock was the main motif in the coat of arms of the Stålhane family, a noble family which used to reside in Tuusula for a long period during the founding of the parish in the 1600s and beyond.
The coat of arms was designed by the graphic designer Olof Eriksson in 1952. He designed hundreds of others for many other towns, municipalities and cities in Finland. He was also responsible for the most recent iteration of the Finnish coat of arms, which was introduced in 1978. The Tuusula municipality coat of arms was taken to use by the municipality in 1953.
Of the municipalities which used to comprise the old Tuusula (Järvenpää, Kerava, Tuusula) Kerava already had a coat of arms in the 1940s. This was changed later in the 70s to the current one depicting a joining technique in a wooden cabin wall. The theme was chosen because the city was famous for its woodworking and tool industry. The earlier coat of arms shared the colours with the Tuusula municipality coat of arms.